Monday, January 6, 2014

Cox Family Pic

I have finally had time to dig through the old family pictures to find the Cox Family portrait (taken in Goderich, Ontario by the R. R. Sallows photo studio)*see note below. I will send a separate image of the names... based on some information from my late mother Catherine Cox Hansen. I think I have figured out the missing number 4 person based on the ages of the family from an original listing in the family bible that was in the possession of Gertrude Cox Kopp (before her death). I think #4 is Will (William Murray) and #5 Wilson (Thomas Wilson..... the descendent you have been tracing).

My sister Chris and I are going to be taking a trip to Canada to try to trace some more of our maternal and paternal family history in both Sarnia and Goderich. I have some early postcards of Goderich with my mother's writing as a young girl. The cards have X's on them noting the location of the Cox Family home in Goderich. I am going to see if we can find an actual address. We are also going to be going out to the cemetery as both of our grandparents Amos David and Jenny Maud MacLagan Cox are buried there, along with the Great Grandparents and I believe a few others.

My brother David Hansen (who has a Family Tree (Hansen) under Ancestry.com) has been sending me information on the family in recent days including the Family Group Sheet for Samuel Cox which lists Name, Birth, Death, Burial, Marriage, and Spouse records for many of the 12 siblings/children of Samuel and Catherine McLean Cox. If I can separate it out from one of the files, I will try to send it to you. Do you have an records/information on the Cox family that you could share with us? Any pictures. We are excited about visiting this area as our mother used to tell us about visiting her grandparents and family in Canada (she was the youngest of all of the Cox cousins and her dad died so young... in 1922 when she was only 10 years old).

*note: I sent for the tourism brochures for both Goderich and Sarnia and in the Goderich brochure they advertise the Sallows Gallery of Old Goderich photos.... you might try to Google it. There are some online digital images and we have found the name Cox and McLean among the names. We hope to visit the actual Gallery in Goderich.

I hope you will keep in touch and share any information you find. If you are interested, we could send you images of the present day Goderich when we return. Let me know.

Laura Hansen Dahle

www.sallowsgallery.ca

Cox Family Photo has the imprint of R. R. Sallows in the lower left corner of the frame.

 


 

No comments: